Chocolate Cupcakes with Whipped Ganache Frosting
Whip the ganache as little or as long as you like, depending on how you prefer the consistency.
Martha Stewart Living, December 2011
- Prep Time 55 minutes
- Total Time 3 hours, 5 minutes
- Yield Makes about 18
- 3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 batches Whipped <u>Ganache</u>
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 18 to 20 cups of 2 standard (12-cup) muffin pans with baking cups. Sift cocoa, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and 3/4 teaspoon salt into the bowl of a mixer. Beat on low speed until just combined.
- Raise speed to medium, and add eggs, buttermilk, water, oil, and vanilla. Beat until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Divide batter among baking cups, filling each about two-thirds full. Bake until tops spring back when touched with a finger, 20 to 22 minutes. Let cool completely in pans set on wire racks.
- Place a mound of whipped ganache (about 3 tablespoons) on top of each cupcake, and frost each using a small spoon or a small offset spatula to create swoops.
Unfrosted cupcakes can be stored at room temperature for up to 1 day.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.