- Unsalted butter, room temperature, for pans
- 3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder, plus more for pans
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 batches Ganache
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter two 8-inch round cake pans and dust with cocoa, tapping out excess. Sift cocoa, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and 3/4 teaspoon salt into the bowl of a mixer. Beat on low speed until just combined.
- Raise speed to medium, and add eggs, buttermilk, warm water, oil, and vanilla. Beat until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Divide batter between pans. Bake until set and a toothpick inserted into center of each comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Let cakes cool in pans set on wire racks for 15 minutes. Turn out cakes. Let cool completely.
- Transfer 1 cake to a wire rack set on a rimmed baking sheet. Pour half the warm ganache over top; pour in center, then slowly but steadily pour around edges, allowing ganache to drip down sides and cover cake. Let stand for 15 minutes. Transfer cake to a cake stand. Repeat with remaining cake and ganache.
- Let cakes stand until set, about 3 hours at room temperature or 1 hour in the refrigerator.
Unglazed cakes can be stored at room temperature, wrapped in plastic wrap, for up to 2 days. Glazed cakes can be stored at room temperature for up to 1 day.