Shrimp Pad Thai
- 8 ounces pad thai noodles (flat rice noodles)
- 3/4 cup tamarind juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup chopped Thai palm sugar
- 6 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1/2 cup safflower oil
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 5 scallions, cut lengthwise into 2-inch pieces, bulbs halved lengthwise
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 ounces fried tofu, thinly sliced
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Lime wedges
- Cilantro sprigs
- Bean sprouts
- Roasted unsalted peanuts
- Soak noodles in warm water for 30 minutes. Drain in a colander and cover with damp paper towels until ready to use.
- In a small saucepan, combine tamarind juice, soy sauce, palm sugar, fish sauce, and Sriracha. Bring to a boil, stirring, until sugar is dissolved and remove from heat.
- Heat oil in a wok over medium-high heat. When oil shimmers, carefully add half the shallots and fry, stirring frequently, until shallots are golden brown. Transfer shallots to paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Raise heat to high and add remaining shallots, scallions, and shrimp. Cook, stirring constantly, just until shrimp are opaque and firm to the touch, 2 minutes. Remove to a plate, reserving oil in wok.
- Add tofu to wok and cook to heat through, 1 minute, and transfer to plate with shrimp.
- Add eggs to wok and cook, stirring constantly, just until eggs are set but still wet, 1 minute, and transfer to plate with shrimp and tofu.
- Add sauce to wok and bring to a boil. Stir in noodles and cook until noodles are hot, 2 minutes. Return shrimp, tofu, and eggs to wok and stir to combine. Serve immediately with garnishes.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.