Athena's Snowdrop Block-Printed Tea Towels
Photography: Juliana Sohn
Martha Stewart Living, December 2011
- Print the snowdrop block-print templates. Trace flower template onto tracing paper with graphite pencil.
- Place marked side down on carving block. Rub rounded handle of linoleum cutter over paper to transfer design.
- Use linoleum cutter with a V-shaped attachment to carve the design onto the block.
- Dip roller in paint, blot on paper, then roll onto the block.
- Stamp print on towel; repeat. This design can be staggered in a half-drop repeat or stamped in columns.
- Place stem template over waterproof paper, secure to mat with tape, then cut out pattern with knife.
- Align stencil so that stems descend from the printed flower-head images, and secure with drafting tape; use stencil brush or sponge to apply paint. Repeat.
- Snowdrop Block-Print Templates
- Tracing paper
- Graphite pencil
- Artist's carving block
- Linoleum cutter
- Foam roller or pouncer
- Water-based textile paint
- Linen tea towel
- Waterproof paper
- Cutting mat
- Drafting tape
- Craft knife
- Stencil brush or sponge
Athena's towels use two of the most simple, versatile printmaking methods: block-making and stenciling. Combine these techniques for one-of-a-kind towels.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.