Crispy Chicken and Apple Salad
Everyday Food, November 2011
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound total)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 large head red leaf lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces (8 cups)
- 2 apples, such as Gala or Fuji, cored and cut into thin wedges
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- On a plate, season flour with 1/4 teaspoon salt. In a shallow dish, whisk egg with 1 tablespoon water. On another plate, season panko with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Pat chicken dry. Dredge chicken in flour, then dip in egg, letting excess drip off. Coat with panko, pressing gently to adhere.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium. Add chicken; cook until golden brown and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes total, flipping once. In a small bowl, whisk buttermilk, mayonnaise, vinegar, and parsley; season with salt and pepper. Arrange lettuce, apples, and cranberries on a platter. Slice chicken, add to platter, and drizzle with dressing.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.