Pumpkin-Spice Cake with Chocolate Chips
This pumpkin cake recipe from pastry chef Katherine Thompson satisfies both seasonal and cocoa cravings.
The Martha Stewart Show
For the Cake
- Nonstick cooking spray with flour
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 cups canned pumpkin puree
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups chocolate chips
For the Creme Fraiche Glaze
- 3 tablespoons creme fraiche
- 3/4 to 1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- Make the cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8-to 10-cup Bundt pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg together into a medium bowl; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together pumpkin, sugar, and eggs on medium speed. With the mixer running, slowly add oil. Add flour mixture and chocolate chips; mix on low speed until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and transfer to oven. Bake until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 70 to 80 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for 20 minutes before inverting cake onto rack or serving plate.
- Make the creme fraiche glaze: Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together creme fraiche and 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar until smooth. Add more confectioners' sugar as necessary to reach desired thickness. Drizzle glaze over cake and serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.