- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for baking dish
- 1 garlic clove, smashed and peeled
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed, peeled, and thinly sliced
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 2-quart shallow baking dish and rub with garlic. Layer potatoes in dish, overlapping slightly. In a small bowl, combine milk, cream, salt, and pepper. Pour cream mixture over potatoes and dot with butter; cover with foil.
- Place dish on a rimmed baking sheet and bake on top rack until potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife, about 1 hour. Uncover and bake until top is golden in spots, 30 to 40 minutes. Let rest 20 minutes before serving.
Pare Down: Peeling is easier and faster with large potatoes. Don't rinse the starch off; it will help to thicken the sauce.