Mushroom And Lentil Soup
Everyday Food, November 2011
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 50 minutes
- Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 small carrots, diced small
- 1 medium red onion, diced small
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 pound cremini or button mushrooms, trimmed and coarsely chopped (4 cups)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 9 sprigs thyme
- 3/4 pound brown lentils (1 3/4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2/3 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt, for serving
- In a large Dutch oven or other heavy pot, heat oil over medium. Add carrots, onion, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, about 6 minutes. Add mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Cook until mushrooms are softened and golden brown at edges, about 8 minutes.
- Add thyme, lentils, and 7 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer until lentils are tender, about 25 minutes. Stir in soy sauce and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve soup topped with yogurt.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.