- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (1 1/2 pounds total), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest, plus 4 teaspoons lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 English cucumber, halved crosswise and thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved (2 cups)
- Cooked long-grain white rice, for serving
- In a medium bowl, combine onion and vinegar; season with salt and pepper. In another medium bowl, combine chicken, lemon zest, and oregano; season with salt and pepper.
- In a third medium bowl, make tzatziki: Combine cucumber, yogurt, parsley, and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add chicken and cook until golden brown and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes to pickled onions and serve with chicken, tzatziki, and rice.
A short soak in a vinegar bath mellows red onions and turns them sweet and spicy. They make a great complement to juicy bites of chicken and the cool salad called tzatziki.