Serve this colorful assortment of condiments with a simple Fried Lake Fish dinner.
Mad Hungry, March 2011
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 pound red beets, peeled, sliced lengthwise, and cut into 1/4-inch matchsticks
- 2 ears corn, stripped from cob (or 2 cups frozen, thawed, and drained)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 ounces cottage cheese
- Bring 1 cup water, 1 cup vinegar, 2 tablespoons salt, and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan. Add beets, remove from heat, and cool to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, combine corn, scallions, red pepper, celery, 2 tablespoons vinegar, olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper.
- Transfer cooled beets, corn salad, and cottage cheese to separate serving bowls and serve with fried fish.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.