- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 poblano chile, seeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Coarse salt
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced green chiles
- 4 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 cans (15.5 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (15.5 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- In a large Dutch oven or other heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion, poblano, and garlic; season with salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, about 4 minutes. Stir in green chiles, chili powder, and cumin and cook 3 minutes. Add beans, tomatoes and juice, and 2 cups water; bring to a boil over high. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender and chili is thickened, 20 to 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt.
Cook's NoteThe great thing about serving this vegetarian chili over rice is that you get a complete protein.
Suggested toppings: sour cream, fresh cilantro leaves, lime wedges, grated Monterrey Jack, chopped red onion.