One-Pot Curried Cauliflower Rice
Rich-tasting curry powder gives a small amount of cream big flavor. Chickpeas add fiber and protein.
Everyday Food, October 2011
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour
- Serves 6
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 large head cauliflower, cored and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 2 cups basmati or other long-grain white rice
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a Dutch oven or other heavy pot, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high. Add cauliflower and cook, stirring frequently, until browned in spots. Transfer to a plate and season with salt and pepper. Add 2 teaspoons oil and onion to pot; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, 5 minutes. Add rice, curry powder, and chickpeas and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until rice is coated, about 2 minutes. Add broth and cream and bring to a boil. Scatter cauliflower over top (do not stir to combine). Cover and bake until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, 15 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.