Pear and Frisee Salad with Bacon and Blue Cheese
You can make this salad with endive, escarole, or baby arugula in place of the frisee.
Everyday Food, October 2011
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 20 minutes
- Serves 4
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Extra-virgin olive oil, if needed
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 small bunches frisee (8 ounces total), trimmed and torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 pears, such as Comice, Bartlett, or Anjou, cored and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup packed fresh parsley leaves
- 2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled (1/2 cup)
- In a small skillet, cook bacon over medium, stirring occasionally, until fat is rendered and bacon is crisp, 9 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Add 2 tablespoons bacon drippings to a large bowl. (If drippings measure less than 2 tablespoons, supplement with oil.) Whisk in lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Add frisee, pears, and parsley to bowl and toss to combine. Sprinkle salad with bacon and cheese.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.