Barley, Mushroom, and Dill Salad
Typically united in soup, barley and mushrooms also complement one another in a salad loaded with fresh dill and dressed in a mustard vinaigrette.
Martha Stewart Living, September 2011
- 1 cup barley
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon each coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 10 cremini or button mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 carrot, grated (1/3 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, sliced thin on the bias
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh dill
- Bring barley, 2 cups water, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil in a small pot. Reduce to simmer, and cook until tender, about 40 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon vinegar while hot, and chill.
- Heat skillet to high. Swirl in 1 tablespoon olive oil and a sprinkling of salt. Cook mushrooms, cap side down, for 5 minutes. Cool and slice.
- Whisk together mustard, 2 tablespoons vinegar, 1/4 cup olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss together with the barley, mushrooms, carrots, celery, and dill.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.