Bananas Flambe with Coconut Sorbet
Caramelized bananas and a scoop of cool sorbet make for an impressive tropical dessert.
Mad Hungry, March 2011
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 bananas, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick on the bias
- 2 ounces Jamaican rum
- 1 pint coconut sorbet or ice cream
- 1/3 cup toasted unsweetened coconut
- 1 lime, cut into wedges (optional)
- In a large saute pan melt butter over high heat. Sprinkle sugar evenly over butter and scatter banana slices over sugar in a single layer. Allow mixture to boil vigorously undisturbed until sugar melts and bananas caramelize on bottom.
- Remove from heat and pour rum into pan. Carefully light rum in pan, standing back to avoid flame, and allow flame to burn out, 30 seconds.
- Divide sorbet and bananas between four bowls, top with toasted coconut and a squeeze of lime juice, and serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.