Serve this savory chicken stew with Easy Arborio Rice.
- 1 4-pound chicken, cut up into 18 pieces
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/8 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 1 14.5-ounce can whole peeled plum tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Gaeta olives, pitted
- 1 rounded tablespoon salt-packed capers, rinsed and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees with rack in middle position.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch braiser pan or oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Place chicken in skillet, skin side down, and cook for 3-4 minutes or until rich golden brown. Flip chicken and continue to brown for 3-4 minutes and transfer to a plate.
- Add onion and garlic to pan and saute until translucent, 3 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and red-pepper flakes and cook 1 minute more.
- Deglaze pan with white wine and reduce liquid by half. Stir in tomatoes, olives, and capers. Return chicken to pan, skin side up, and transfer to oven. Braise in oven for 35 minutes, or until a meat thermometer inserted into center of thickest piece of chicken registers 165 degrees. Sprinkle parsley over top just before serving.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.