- 4 medium beets, trimmed, peeled, and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup safflower oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- Chocolate Glaze
- <u>Candied Beet Chips</u>, for garnish
- Cover beets with 2 inches water in a pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until very tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp paring knife, about 30 minutes. Drain. Puree beets in a food processor until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and 3/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Whisk in eggs, water, oil, vanilla, and 1 1/4 cups beet puree (reserve remaining puree for another use).
- Coat a 9-inch round cake pan (3 inches deep) with cooking spray. Line bottom with parchment, and coat with spray. Pour batter into pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Turn out cake from pan, and discard parchment. Let cool completely, right side up.
- Trim top of cake using a serrated knife to create a level surface. Transfer cake, cut side down, to a platter. Pour chocolate glaze over the top, and let set, about 30 minutes. Garnish with beet chips.
Unglazed cake can be stored at room temperature (wrapped in plastic) for up to 2 days. Storage: Glazed cake can be stored at room temperature for up to 1 day.