This simple batter is similar to pancake batter. Poured in a pan with fruit, it bakes into a creamy custard.
Martha Stewart Living, November 2011
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 1 Hour 5 minutes
- Yield Serves 4 to 6
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature, for dish
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup chilled heavy cream
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or thawed frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped
- Confectioners' sugar, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter a 1-quart baking dish (not metal) using a pastry brush; sprinkle 2 tablespoons granulated sugar over bottom. Sift remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar, the flour, and salt into a large bowl. Gradually whisk in eggs, 3/4 cup cream, the milk, and zest.
- Scatter cranberries into dish; pour batter over top. Bake until puffed, slightly set, and brown around edges, 32 to 34 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes (it will sink).
- Whisk remaining 1/4 cup cream until soft peaks form. Dust clafouti with confectioners' sugar. Serve with whipped cream.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.