Martha Stewart Living, November 2011
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 cups fresh (from about 3 ears) or thawed frozen corn kernels
- 3 jalapeno chiles, minced (ribs and seeds removed for less heat, if desired)
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/4 cups buttermilk, well shaken
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat two 5-cup turkey-shaped pans with cooking spray. Melt 1/2 cup butter and let cool.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium-high. Cook corn, jalapeno, and shallots, stirring occasionally, until soft, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Whisk together flour, cornmeal, salt, pepper, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture and add eggs; whisk eggs into flour mixture.
- Whisk together melted butter and buttermilk; stir into flour mixture, along with corn mixture and cheddar. Mix until well combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between prepared pans; smooth tops. Transfer to oven and bake, rotating pans halfway through, until a cake tester inserted into the centers comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool slightly before inverting onto a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.