Black Pepper Icing
A touch of black pepper is the secret ingredient in this recipe from chef Kieran Baldwin, which tops her signature Devil's Food Cake.
Yield Makes enough for one 9-inch round layer cake
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon sugar and salt; set aside.
- Place remaining sugar in a small saucepan, along with 1/2 cup water. Place over medium-low heat and cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Increase heat and bring to a boil; do not stir. Cook, occasionally swirling and brushing down sides of saucepan with a moistened pastry brush, until mixture registers 240 degrees on a candy thermometer, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment; beat on medium speed until frothy. With the mixer running, gradually add sugar and salt mixture.
- Increase mixer speed to medium-high; slowly add hot sugar mixture, allowing it to drizzle down the sides of the bowl. Continue beating until whites are stiff and cooled, about 20 minutes. Add pepper; mix until well combined. Use icing immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.