Chocolate Crumb Base
Use chef Kierin Baldwin's irresistible chocolate crumb base to make her Devil's Food Cake with Black Pepper Boiled Icing recipe.
The Martha Stewart Show
Yield Makes one 9-inch round layer cake
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons chocolate graham-cracker crumbs (from about 7 cookies)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg white
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place graham cracker crumbs, cocoa powder, turbinado sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor; pulse to combine. Add melted butter and continue pulsing until well combined. Add egg whites and continue pulsing until crumbs begin to stick together.
- Trace an 8-inch circle on a piece of parchment paper. Place paper pencil-side down on a baking sheet. Turn crumb mixture out onto parchment and form into a flat, even 8-inch disc, using the tracing as a guide.
- Transfer to oven and bake until firm and middle appears dry, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool completely before using.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.