- Yield Makes one 8-inch square loaf
- Unsalted butter, softened, for baking pan
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter an 8-inch square baking pan. In a bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, and baking powder. In another bowl, whisk together milk and eggs until frothy, then stir into dry ingredients, mixing until just incorporated. Do not overmix; the batter should be lumpy.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake until top is golden brown and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out dry, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.