This ingenious twist on the classic Mary is slightly tarter. When tomatillos are pureed with cucumber and jalapeno, the juice takes on a gorgeous green color.
Photography: Johnny Miller
Martha Stewart Living, August 2011
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 2 hours 20 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1 pound tomatillos, husked, rinsed, and chopped
- 1 medium English cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and chopped
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from 2 limes), plus 1 lime wedge
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Coarse salt
- Cayenne pepper
- 1 cup chilled vodka
- Puree tomatillos, cucumber, jalapeno, water, lime juice, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a generous pinch of cayenne pepper in a blender until smooth. Stir in vodka. Refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, stir together 2 teaspoons salt
and 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper on a
small plate. Wet the rims of 4 glasses with
lime wedge, and dip each in salt mixture,
turning to coat. Stir Tomatillo Mary mixture
well, and divide among 4 ice-filled glasses.
Tomatillo Marys can be refrigerated for up to 4 hours. Pour over ice just before serving.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.