- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 4 slices bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium head green cabbage (3 pounds), cored, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup cider or rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high and cook bacon, stirring, until browned and crisp, 6 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a plate. Add onion and cabbage to pot and cook, stirring, until cabbage is wilted, 10 minutes. Add vinegar, sugar, and soy sauce and cook until cabbage is crisp-tender, 10 minutes. Stir in bacon and serve.
To store, let cool, then refrigerate in an airtight container, up to 1 week.