A layer of iron-on vinyl makes any fabric water-resistant like oilcloth.
Photography: Dana Gallagher
- With a 1/2-inch seam allowance, sew gingham onto solid cotton square.
- Following manufacturer's instructions, press vinyl onto gingham.
- Trim all the way around by 1/4 inch.
- Sewing machine and sewing supplies
- Scraps of gingham, cut into 3 1/2-inch squares, from New York Elegant Farbrics, 212-302-4980
- Scraps of solid cotton, cut into 3 1/2-inch squares
- Iron-on vinyl, thermowebonline.com
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.