Minestrone and Parmesan Biscuit Potpie
The biscuits, which are made by working Parmesan into the dough, bake atop the vegetable soup.
Martha Stewart Living, October 2011
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 45 minutes
- Serves 8
Yield Makes one 11-by-13-inch potpie
For the Filling
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 leeks, white and pale-green parts only, quartered lengthwise, thinly sliced crosswise, and rinsed well
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (4 cups)
- 1 can (19 ounces) cannellini beans, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) peeled whole tomatoes
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale, chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock or water
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (1/2 ounce), plus 1 Parmesan cheese rind (about 3 inches)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
For the Topping
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Coarse salt
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (2 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, plus more for brushing
- Make the filling: Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook leeks and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes. Add butternut squash, beans, tomatoes with juice, kale, stock, rosemary, and Parmesan rind. Bring to a gentle simmer. Cook, covered, until vegetables are just tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in cheese, and season with salt and pepper. Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Make the topping: Whisk together flour, baking powder, and 1 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Cut in butter using a pastry cutter or rub in with your fingers until small clumps form. Stir in cheese. Add cream, and stir with a fork until a sticky dough forms. Divide into 8 balls (about 1/2 cup each).
- Transfer filling to an 11-by-13-inch (10-cup) baking dish. Top with dough balls, and brush with cream. Bake until topping is golden and filling is bubbling, about 55 minutes. If biscuits darken too quickly, tent with foil.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.