Gourds in the Graveyard
You can carve just one frightful tombstone or enough gruesome grave-marker pumpkins to haunt an entire cemetery. The more, the scarier.
- For each pumpkin, choose a grave-marker template, and use a photocopier to enlarge it to fit (or draw your own design).
- Tape template to pumpkin, and transfer image by punching holes along design with awl.
- Use wood gouge to carve away large background areas, and use lino cutter to carve finer details.
- Wrap string lights around jars, then place inside pumpkin. Scrape out more flesh behind designs, if needed, to let light shine through.
- Pumpkins, pulp removed and flesh scraped to 3/4 inch
- Gourds in the graveyard templates
- Clear or masking tape
- Awl or T-pin
- Wood gouge
- Linoleum cutter
- Large-bulb outdoor string lights
- Glass jars
© 2015 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.