- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) plus 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1 1/4 cups bread flour
- 1 1/4 cups chopped nuts, such as almonds, blanched hazelnuts, or pecans (about 5 1/3 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed until fluffy. With the mixer running, add the corn syrup. Reduce speed to low; add bread flour, and mix to combine. Add the nuts, and mix to combine.
- Place a 12-by-16-inch piece of parchment on a clean work surface. Spoon the dough across the middle of the parchment. Fold parchment over dough, and, using a ruler, press dough into a neat log, and roll until even. Chill log in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment. Remove the parchment from the log, and slice into 1/2-inch-thick rounds. Place rounds on baking sheets, spaced 3 inches apart. Bake until golden brown and lacy, 15 to 20 minutes, rotating halfway through. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool. Bake or freeze remaining dough.
Dough prepared ahead of time and stored in the freezer, labeled with its name for future reference, can be baked quickly into a variety of cookies.