- 4 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- Coarse salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 4 ounces bar cream cheese, cubed
- In a 5-quart pan, place potatoes and cover with cold water by 1 inch; add 1 tablespoon coarse salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer until potatoes are easily pierced with the tip of a paring knife, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain; return potatoes to pan.
- Over medium heat, stir potatoes until dry (a film of starch will form on bottom of pan), about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring milk and butter to a simmer; pour over potatoes. Add cream cheese; season generously with salt. Mash just until smooth, being careful not to overmash.
Peel and cut potatoes up to 2 days ahead; cover with cold water and refrigerate. Once cooked and mashed, potatoes can sit, up to 3 hours: Place in a heatproof bowl, top with a thin layer of milk, and cover surface with plastic wrap. To reheat: Remove plastic, and place bowl over a pot of simmering water; stir in the milk, and heat until warm throughout.