Broiled Steak with Rice Salad
Cook up a pot of rice while a classic cut of steak browns under the broiler for a fast, fresh dinner tonight.
Everyday Food, July/August 2011
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 35 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 boneless New York strip steaks (1 3/4 pounds total; each 1 1/2 inches thick)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 mild green chile, such as Anaheim, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 small red onion, diced small
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- In a medium saucepan, bring rice and 1 1/2 cups water to a boil over high. Stir, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook rice 15 minutes, remove from heat, and let stand, covered, 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat broiler, with rack in top position. Place steaks on a broiler-proof rimmed baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Broil until medium-rare, about 10 minutes, flipping once. Transfer to a cutting board, tent with foil, and let rest 5 minutes.
- Transfer rice to a large bowl. Add carrots, chile, parsley, onion, vinegar, and sugar. Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Thinly slice steak against the grain and serve with rice.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.