Mushroom-Swiss Turkey Burgers
Everyday Food, July/August 2011
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 25 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1 large red onion, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil, plus more for grill
- 1/2 pound button mushrooms, quartered
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 pound ground white-meat turkey
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped fresh parsley
- 2 ounces Swiss cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 whole-wheat burger buns, lightly toasted
- 2 roasted red peppers, cut into 1-inch slices
- Baby arugula, for serving
- Finely chop enough onion to yield 1/3 cup (reserve remaining rounds for burgers). In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high; cook chopped onion and mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft and mushrooms are golden, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then transfer to a cutting board and roughly chop mixture.
- Heat a grill to medium-high. Clean and lightly oil hot grill. Season onion rounds with salt and pepper; grill until lightly charred and tender, 5 minutes, flipping once. In a large bowl, combine mushroom mixture, turkey, and parsley. Form into four 1/2-inch-thick patties; season with salt and pepper. Grill, about 4 minutes, flipping once. Top each patty with cheese; grill until burgers are cooked through and cheese is just melted, 1 minute. Serve burgers on buns with grilled onions, peppers, and arugula.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.