Fried Eggs with Greens and Mushrooms
For added convenience, use good-quality bagged cooking greens and presliced mushrooms.
Photography: Johnny Miller
Martha Stewart Living, September 2011
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 15 minutes
- Serves 4
- <b>For the Sage-Chile Butter (optional)</b>
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon small sage leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- <b>For the Eggs and Greens</b>
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 10 ounces white button or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- Coarse salt
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 6 cups cooking greens (cut into 3/4-inch-wide ribbons), such as collard, mustard, or kale
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs
- Garnish: finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Make the sage-chile butter: Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add sage and red-pepper flakes. Simmer until sage is crisp, about 3 minutes.
- Make the eggs and greens: Heat a large, heavy skillet (preferably cast iron) over high heat. Swirl in oil. Cook mushrooms with 1/2 teaspoon salt until golden and tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in garlic, then greens and water. Cook, stirring, until greens wilt. Add unsalted butter, and stir until melted.
- Push greens to make 4 wells. Crack 1 egg into each. Season with salt. Cook for 4 minutes. Let stand until whites are set but yolks are still runny, about 4 minutes. Drizzle with sage-chile butter. Garnish with cheese.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.