- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 large yellow onion, halved
- 3/4 cup medium-grind bulgur
- 1 3/4 pounds ground pork
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh oregano leaves (from 1 bunch)
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 large tomatoes (about 4 pounds), seeded and chopped
- 3/4 pound spaghetti
- Grated Parmesan, for serving
- Shred zucchini and half the onion; squeeze out liquid and, in a large bowl, mix with bulgur, pork, eggs, 1/4 cup oregano, and half the garlic. Season with salt and pepper and form into 2-inch meatballs (22 to 24 total).
- In a heavy pot, heat vegetable oil over medium-high. In batches, cook meatballs until browned, 5 to 7 minutes, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels. Discard oil; wipe out pot.
- Add olive oil to pot. Chop remaining onion and add, along with remaining garlic; cook until fragrant, 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, 1/2 cup oregano, and meatballs; cook until meatballs are cooked through and tomatoes have cooked down, 15 to 20 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Transfer 10 to 12 meatballs and 1 cup sauce to an airtight container and refrigerate, up to 3 days.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions. Serve with remaining meatballs, sauce, and Parmesan.
Transfer 10 to 12 meatballs and 1 cup sauce to an airtight container and refrigerate, up to 3 days.