Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars
Photography: John Kernick
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 jar (12 ounces) grape jelly
- 3/4 cup chopped roasted salted peanuts
- 1/2 cup peanut butter chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush a 9-inch square baking pan with butter and line with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on two sides. Butter parchment.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, and salt. With a pastry cutter or your hands, work in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal with a few pea-size pieces of butter remaining. Add egg and vanilla extract; stir until dough just comes together. Set aside 1 cup dough and firmly press remaining dough into pan in an even layer. Using a small offset spatula, spread grape jelly over top.
- Combine reserved dough, peanuts, and peanut butter chips; crumble over jam layer. Bake until topping is deep golden brown, 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Run a sharp knife around edges, then, using parchment, lift cake from pan and cut into 12 squares.
Store in an airtight container, up to 1 week.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.