Beef and Potato Hand Pies
Store-bought puff pastry makes these pies extra easy. Serve them with salad greens.
Everyday Food, September 2011
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour
- Yield Makes 8
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced medium
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 medium Yukon Gold potato, diced medium
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook until translucent, 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds.
- Add beef and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until browned, 5 minutes. Stir in paprika, potato, and raisins; season to taste with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- On a lightly floured work surface, gently roll out puff pastry sheets to smooth creases. Cut each sheet into 4 squares. Place 1/3 cup beef mixture in center of each pastry square. Brush edges lightly with water, fold over filling to form triangles, press to seal, and sprinkle with paprika.
- Transfer to two parchment-lined rimmed baking sheets and bake until pastry is golden and puffed, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
Fill these pies the day before and refrigerate in a single layer, covered, until ready to bake.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.