Basmati Rice Pilaf
Everyday Food, September 2011
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice, rinsed and drained
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- In a medium pot, heat oil over medium. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until soft, 5 minutes. Add rice; cook, stirring, until rice is translucent at edges, 2 minutes.
- Add 2 1/2 cups water and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over high; cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.