Mad Hungry, March 2011
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Chinese cooking wine
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
- 6 ounces snow peas, trimmed
- 1 8-ounce can bamboo shoots, drained
- 8 ounces water chestnuts, halved
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced on the bias
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- In a bowl, combine soy sauce, cooking wine, cornstarch, and sugar. Stir in chicken and marinate for 15 minutes.
- Place wok over high heat. When wok smokes, add peanut oil. When oil shimmers, add garlic and ginger and cook for 10 seconds.
- Remove chicken from marinade. Reserve marinade and add chicken to wok. Cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is browned in places and just cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in chili paste and snow peas and cook 2 minutes more, or until snow peas are shiny and bright green.
- Stir in bamboo shoots and water chestnuts and continue cooking until they are heated through, about one minute.
- Remove from heat, stir in scallions, sesame seeds, and sesame oil and serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.