Stovetop Chili Mac
Everyday Food, April 2011
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 45 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3/4 pound rigatoni or other tube-shaped pasta
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, diced small
- 1 pound ground beef chuck (85 percent lean)
- 1 3/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 cup corn kernels, thawed if frozen
- 1 small zucchini, diced medium
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2 ounces cheddar, grated (3/4 cup)
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and return to pot. Meanwhile, in a large skillet heat oil over medium. Add garlic and onion and cook until onion is translucent, 3 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high, add beef, and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Add cumin and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Add corn and zucchini and cook until zucchini is crisp-tender, 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and juice, bring to a simmer, and cook until mixture is heated through, about 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide pasta among four bowls, top with meat sauce, and sprinkle with cheese.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.