Grilled Eggplant Sandwich
Eggplant, tomatoes, and mozzarella fill up a hungry bunch without breaking the bank. Fresh basil is the perfect way to brighten up rich flavors.
Everyday Food, September 2011
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Serves 4
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for grill
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 loaf crusty bread (10 ounces), such as ciabatta, sliced in half lengthwise
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 1 medium eggplant (8 ounces), cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 14 fresh basil leaves
- Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high. Clean and lightly oil hot grill. In a small bowl, combine garlic with 1 tablespoon oil; season with salt and pepper. Brush garlic oil on cut sides of bread and grill until lightly toasted on both sides, 1 to 2 minutes. Top bottom half with cheese.
- Brush eggplant with 1 tablespoon oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill until tender and lightly charred, 12 to 15 minutes, flipping once. Layer eggplant on cheese. Brush tomatoes with 1 tablespoon oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill until lightly charred, 2 to 3 minutes, flipping once. Layer tomatoes on eggplant, top with basil, and sandwich with top half of bread. Cut crosswise into 4 pieces and serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.