Salt-And-Pepper Shrimp with Aioli
Serve the shrimp in their shells, and let your guests peel them. Although the shrimp are cooked in salt, most of it is discarded with the shells.
Photography: James Baigrie
Martha Stewart Living, June 2002
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Coarse salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds (24 to 30) large shrimp
- Freshly ground pepper
- Make aioli: Pulse garlic in the bowl of a food processor until it is finely chopped. Add egg yolks and mustard, and season with salt; process until mixture is blended. With machine running, add half the canola oil, a few drops at a time, until mixture is emulsified. Add 4 teaspoons lemon juice. With machine running, add remaining canola oil and the olive oil. Season with salt and lemon juice. Transfer to a bowl; refrigerate, covered, up to 2 days.
- Season shrimp with pepper. Place a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat; lightly cover bottom with salt. Arrange half the shrimp in a single layer. Place a pan on top as a weight; cook 2 minutes. Remove top pan, and turn shrimp; cook until they are pink, about 1 1/2 minutes. Transfer to a plate; wipe pan with a dry paper towel. Repeat with remaining shrimp. Serve with aioli.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.