For extra heat, don't remove the jalapeno seeds.
Photography: MIKKEL VANG
- 2 1/2 cups apple-cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut diagonally 1/4 inch thick
- 2 small red onions, peeled, halved, and sliced into 3/4-inch wedges
- 4 jalapeno peppers, cut lengthwise into quarters, seeds removed with a small knife
- Combine vinegar, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan with 3 cups cold water; bring to a boil over high heat and stir to dissolve sugar. Add carrots, onions, and jalapenos and reduce to medium-high heat. Simmer until carrots are just tender, about 10 to 12 minutes. Pour into a medium bowl; set aside 10 minutes. Cover and refrigerate. Keeps for up to 2 weeks.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.