Cabbage and Fennel Slaw
This simple slaw is great for picnics or backyard barbecues. Fennel updates the classic recipe by adding a sweet licorice flavor.
Everyday Food, June 2010
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 45 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1/4 small head red cabbage (about 1 pound), shredded
- 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed, halved, and sliced very thin
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallion greens (from 2 scallions)
- 1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- In a large bowl, toss together cabbage, fennel, carrots, and scallion greens. In a small bowl, whisk together ginger, orange juice, oil, and vinegar; season with salt and pepper. Pour dressing over vegetables and toss to coat completely. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes (or up to 1 1/2 hours). Toss slaw before serving.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.