Sausage and Rice Stuffed Peppers
The rice and sausage mixture can be made up to 3 days ahead and refrigerated
in an airtight container until needed.
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 55 minutes
- Yield Serves 8
- 3 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for baking sheet
- 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 zucchini, diced small
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 ounce Parmesan, grated (1/4 cup)
- 4 cups cooked long-grain white rice
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 4 large bell peppers (any color), halved lengthwise, seeds and ribs removed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large skillet,
heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high.
Add sausage and cook, breaking up meat
with a wooden spoon, until browned,
5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer
sausage to a medium bowl. Add 1 teaspoon
oil to skillet along with zucchini,
onion, and garlic. Season with salt
and pepper and cook until vegetables
are tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add zucchini mixture to bowl with
sausage, along with Parmesan, rice,
and 1 teaspoon oil; stir to combine and
season with salt and pepper. In a
small bowl, combine breadcrumbs and
1/2 teaspoon oil and season with salt
and pepper. Brush a rimmed baking
sheet with oil and arrange bell peppers,
cut side up, on sheet. Divide rice
mixture among peppers and top with
breadcrumbs. Bake until breadcrumbs
are browned and peppers are tender,
about 30 minutes. Serve warm.
To prep a bell pepper for
stuffing, use a sharp paring
knife to cleanly slice
pepper in half, then scrape
out ribs and seeds.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.