The fresh herbs give these tiny fritters a beautiful earthiness. Serve them as an appetizer, for brunch, or as a light lunch.
Martha Stewart Living, August 2011
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 25 minutes
- Serves 8
Yield Makes about 20
- 2 medium zucchini (about 8 ounces each), trimmed
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese (1 ounce)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh oregano
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for frying
- Plain yogurt and apricot jam, for serving
- Grate zucchini on the large holes of a box grater, then squeeze dry in a clean kitchen towel or press in a ricer. Repeat with onion.
- Mix together zucchini, onion, cheese, flour, and herbs. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Stir in eggs just before frying.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, coat skillet with 1 to 2 tablespoons oil. Scoop mounds (2 tablespoons each) of the zucchini mixture into skillet; flatten slightly using a spatula. Cook until golden brown and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer fritters to paper-towel-lined plates to drain. Serve with dollops of plain yogurt and apricot jam.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.