Rigatoni with Pumpkin and Bacon
Martha Stewart Living, October 2006
- Coarse salt
- 8 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 sugar pumpkin (about 3 pounds), peeled and halved, seeds removed, and flesh cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1/2 cups homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound rigatoni
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons hulled raw pepitas (pumpkin seeds), toasted, for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add salt. Put bacon into a large skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until bacon is almost crisp, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a plate lined with paper towels; let drain.
- Add onion to skillet with bacon grease. Cook, stirring, until soft, 12 to 15 minutes. Add pumpkin, sage, 1/2 teaspoons salt, and the allspice. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Add stock and cream; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until pumpkin is soft and sauce has thickened slightly, about 25 minutes. Season with pepper.
- Meanwhile, add pasta to boiling water, and cook until al dente. Drain pasta, and add to skillet. Add the bacon and Parmesan, and toss to combine. Divide among bowls. Serve with Parmesan on the side, and garnish with pepitas.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.