Greek Lemon Roasted Potatoes
Oregano is Greek for "joy of the mountain." Greek oregano has a milder flavor than the Mexican variety usually found in the spice aisle of your supermarket. Look for Greek oregano at Italian or Greek markets.
Martha Stewart Living, May 1999
- 4 large russet baking potatoes (8 medium), peeled and quartered
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (3 lemons)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano, preferably Greek oregano, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 500 degrees. Place potatoes in a metal roasting pan large enough to fit potatoes in a single layer. Add 1 cup water, olive oil, lemon juice, dried oregano, salt, and pepper. Toss potatoes until well coated.
- Bake, uncovered, until fork-tender and brown on the edges, about 50 minutes. Turn potatoes halfway through for even browning; add water if all the liquid has been absorbed, before they have fully browned. If desired, garnish with oregano; serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.