Photograph by: Petrina Tinslay.
- 2 pounds ground beef, preferably chuck
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 ounces cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 hamburger buns
- 2 tomatoes (12 ounces), sliced
- 8 leaves Bibb lettuce (1 small head)
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- Heat a grill or grill pan to medium high. Season meat with salt and pepper, mix very lightly, and shape into four patties. Grill hamburgers 4 to 6 minutes per side for rare and 9 to 11 minutes for well done. If making cheeseburgers, lay cheese slices on top of the hamburgers after they have been flipped.
- Serve immediately on buns (toasted, if desired), topped with tomatoes, lettuce, and onion slices.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.