These cookies are prepared similarly to how biscotti are (but they're baked once, not twice). The dough is shaped into flattened logs before going in the oven, then sliced into cookies after being baked.
Martha Stewart Living, July 2011
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together flour, spices, and salt. Beat butter and sugar with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to low, and beat in flour mixture.
- Divide dough into 4 equal pieces, and form each into a 9 1/2-inch log. Place on parchment-lined baking sheets, and flatten each to a 2-inch width by pressing with the tines of a fork.
- Bake until golden around
edges and firm to the touch,
about 25 minutes. Transfer
sheets to wire racks, and let
cool for 10 minutes. Remove
logs from sheets, and cut
on the bias into 3/4-inch-thick
slices. Let cool completely
on wire racks.
Spice slices can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.