- 1 garlic clove
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 7 ounces rustic French bread, crust removed, cut into 1 1/4-by-2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 anchovy fillet, mashed
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 4 ounces thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 small head chicory, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat garlic and 2 tablespoons oil in a small saute pan over medium heat until oil is bubbling. Discard garlic; drizzle oil over bread on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until golden, about 20 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Whisk mustard, anchovy, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of pepper in a large bowl. Whisk in red-wine vinegar. Whisk in remaining 3 tablespoons oil.
- Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat, stirring, until golden and crisp, about 8 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a small saucepan. Stir in white vinegar. Break eggs into separate cups; slide eggs into water. Cook 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Toss chicory with vinaigrette. Divide among 4 plates. Top each with an egg; sprinkle with bacon and croutons.
The eggs in this recipe are not fully cooked. It should not be prepared for pregnant women, babies, young children, the elderly, or anyone whose health is compromised.