Ruffle Tower Cake
Inspired by ruffled tap pants, this cake is covered with frilly rows of white and pink frosting piped from a single bag. Three tender lemon layers make this birthday cake tall enough to show off the ribbon-candy effect of the frosting and ensure there is plenty for everyone.
Martha Stewart Baby, Winter
- 1 recipe <u>Tender Lemon Cake</u>
- 1 recipe <u>Swiss Meringue Buttercream</u>
- Trim bottom layers; stack on cake round, with 3/4 cup buttercream spread over top of each. Add top layer; spread 1 cup buttercream over entire cake. Refrigerate 40 minutes until firm. Tint half remaining buttercream pink.
- Place cake on rotating stand. Lay flat a 12-inch pastry bag with #103 tip. Fill half of bag from tip to top with pink buttercream, other half with white. Hold bag vertically, slot of tip perpendicular to cake; use swift back-and-forth motion 1 inch wide to make ruffle, pulling tip up side.
- Turn cake stand slowly, piping circular ruffle over top.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.